Monday, January 29, 2007

Why India will rule football

I’ve written about this before.
And Shilpa Shetty wins the Big Brother 100,000 pound jackpot and I’m reminded of it again.
To me, this was a no-brainer. Jade Goody or Jackson against an Indian? Notice, I didn’t say against Shilpa Shetty, I said Indian.
And we’re not racist.
But we are mobile phone junkies, and we are suckers for any SMS vote-in announced by any two-bit channel for any two-bit show.
And, Indians are a formidable percentage of the population of virtually any country in the world, except China.
And while we’re not racist, we love our own. And when one of the candidates is a fellow Indian, we vote like crazy. As Indians have done for Shilpa Shetty.
And, not so far in the future, an Indian will be in the squad (and will start once in a while, and play a few minutes in a few games) of Manchester United and Liverpool and Arsenal and Chelsea.
Because these clubs will not be able to ignore a simple truth: Indians will buy season tickets, and SMS packages and T-Shirts and other merchandise because an Indian is playing for the team.
Not because we’re racist; only because we love our own.

And, one day in the next couple of seasons, when one of the top four football teams in the English Premier League announces an Indian in the team, I will say, “I told you so.”